Ajloun is a town in the fertile highlands of north Jordan. It’s overlooked by the ruined Ajloun Castle, originally built in 1184 to defend against the Crusaders. Inside, the Ajloun Archaeological Museum’s displays include ancient Neolithic artifacts. The Ajloun Castle Trail winds north to the ruined hilltop church of Mar Elias. The Prophet’s Trail continues through orchards and oak trees to the Ajloun Forest Reserve.
Ajloun Castle, is a 12th-century Muslim castle situated in northwestern Jordan. It is placed on a hilltop belonging to the Mount Ajloun district, also known as Jabal 'Auf after a Bedouin tribe which had captured the area in the 12th century. From its high ground the castle was guarding three wadis which descend towards the Jordan Valley. It was built by the Ayyubids in the 12th century and enlarged by the Mamluks in the 13th. The name 'Ajlun goes back to a Christian monk who lived on this mountain in the Byzantine period. The castle stands on the ruins of a monastery, traces of which were discovered during archaeological excavations. The castle has been the nucleus of a settlement which has grown to become the present town of Ajloun. The castle's developing faubourg led to its second name, Qalʻat ar-Rabad, "the castle of the faubourg" or "the castle with the suburbs”. Wikipedia